The Economic Research Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences, with the support of the Scientific Council for Regional Development at the RAS Presidium, issues an academic journal ”Spatial Economics”.
Spatial Economics to date has emerged as one of the pillars of Economics, which is located at the junction of regional economics (as Economics of regions), economic geography, economic theory, mathematical economics, institutional economics, sociology, and demography. The journal publishes original articles on these aspects within the overall scientific direction 08.00.00 (Economics).
“Spatial Economics” provides publication of the findings in the following research areas:
• Theory, methodology and methods of regional studies. Territorial structure of Russia’s and other countries’ economy, dynamics of the structure. Economy of the regions, interregional cooperation. Regional economic policy.
• Socio-economic, economic-geographic and geopolitical problems of the economic space development (territories and water areas). Migration of the population, dynamics of settlements - economic centers. Use of natural resources, changes in their availability. Building of infrastructure. Transformation of the economic space under the influence of development; redistribution of economic potentials.
• Spatial issues of sectors and industries, their comparative analysis, study of material flows between regions.
• The spatial system of financial and information flows, its dynamics, degree of maturity and stability.
• Economic issues of spatial integration. Problems and prospects for the global economic development in the context of interaction between regional blocs. Spatial distribution of the effects of international cooperation.
“Spatial Economics” belongs to the leading academic journals in the field of Economics, it is also a national leader among journals that publish research results in the sphere of spatial economics.
Currently the journal is positioned as an academic publication that informs scientific and expert communities, as well as authorities at all levels, about the findings in the field of spatial economics.
In the long term "Spatial Economics" may become a platform at the national and international levels for collective expertise and coordination of research in the field of spatial economics.